Application Preface Page 2
CERT Mission Statement
The CERT organization trains citizens to provide initial assistance to their families, neighbors, and community during medical emergencies and disasters until professional emergency personnel arrive. Additionally, CERT members provide various forms of assistance to the community during the post disaster recovery efforts.
What Will I Learn As A CERT Member?
- How to keep a friend, neighbor or loved one alive until professional emergency personnel arrive
- How to Provide a safe environment for yourself and others before disasters
- How to survive and cope during an overwhelming or catastrophic incident
- How to recognize potential hazards and reduce injury or damage to persons or property
- How to assume a leadership role with those who are not trained to deal with injuries or disasters
- How to identify and assist those who are traumatized from disasters or injuries.
Who can participate in CERT?
- Any Villages resident may become a volunteer member.
The CERT Basic course consists of thirty six hours of instruction, each of the 12 class sessions being three hours. Upon completion of the classroom and hands-on course of instruction you will attend a Disaster Drill after which you will graduate from training. At that time you will be assigned to a CERT team within your village area. Your education will continue through team meetings, general meetings, continuing education sessions and disaster drills all of which are held on a regular basis.
The course, which is funded by Homeland Security and developed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), consists of the following:
- The CERT Organization & Disaster Preparedness
- Fire Safety
- Disaster Medical Operations
- Medical Practical
- Light Search and Rescue
- Disaster Psychology
- Terrorism and Haz-Mat and CERT
- Incident Command Systems
- Disaster Simulation
- CPR/AED/ Heimlich Maneuver (Added locally)
Classes are scheduled based on the number of applicants available for classes. Once you have submitted an application you will be contacted with your class scheduling. The Basic Training course consists of 12 classes on every Monday and Friday morning from 9:00 to 12:00 noon for 6 weeks for a total of 36 hours. If you have questions regarding classes please contact CERT via the “Questions” link on the the website header or footer.